I’ve been saying for a few years now that I’m going to get in shape. And I’ve had occasional posts claiming that “THIS IS IT”, that I’ve finally found something that will work for me. And then all that excitement and hope is replaced by laziness and lumpiness. This health and fitness thing is still a work in progress, but the good news is, there has been progress!
I started off the beginning of this year knowing I needed to do something about my health. I’d managed to get pretty lumpy around the tummy, and knew that wasn’t good. I talked to my doctor for my annual checkup and asked her for advice. Any diets I should follow? Her advice was just to eat more fruits and vegetables, eat smaller portions, and get some exercise. Not really the most mind-blowing advice, but good solid advice.
So I started doing that. And as you know, I love trying new websites. I started out trying a lot of different fitness tracking sites. I tracked my weight, food, and exercise on LoseIt. It really helped to see just how much food I was eating, and how many calories snacks, larger portions, and second helpings were adding to my daily intake. And I became more mindful of what I was eating, and tried to replace unhealthy choices with healthier ones, like fruits and veggies instead of chips and cookies. I guess I was building an eating lifestyle like my friend Sara (well, especially points 1. Veggies, 2. Fruit, 7. Hydration, and 9. Exercise).
I started writing a lot more about health and fitness activities. I had to buy new shoes for all the walking and running I was doing! I joined in a few challenges (Hometown Wellness Showdown and Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge). And I got all thoughtful about comparing personal finance and health goals.
The results/achievements in 2012:
- I hit my goal weight, which meant I lost around 9% of my body weight over the year.
- I go to the gym/work out multiple times a week (and make sure to track it all on DailyMile)
- I’ve gotten compliments from family/friends on my thinned down body.
- I’ve increased my 5k time by 4 minutes 15 seconds.
- I walked the entire 20-mile route of Walk for Hunger, raising over $1k to feed hungry Massachusetts families.
Goals/Plans for the following year:
- Keep working toward running an entire 5k (I’m currently stuck at Week 5 Day 2 of the Couch to 5k training program). And once I hit that goal, it will help me reach my stretch goal of coming in at the top half of finishers.
- Enter some more 5ks. For runners out there, do you sign up for the same races year after year? Or try new runs each year? (Will add the races I sign up for to my Steph on Fitness page)
- Keep going to the gym, including surviving this month’s UXF Ripped program that I won through a raffle at the gym.
- Lose a few more pounds of fat/gain a few more pounds of muscle (basically, keep training!)
- Sign up for the Walk for Hunger again this year, and raise even more money! And complete the entire walk even faster than last year!
How did you do this past year? Did you achieve your health and fitness goals? And what are your goals for 2013? Please share your experience/advice/ideas in the comments! Hearing your goals and accomplishments is so inspiring and motivational!