I just got an email from WordPress summing up my blogging statistics for the year.
Let’s review what happened, blogwise, this past year. My comments will be in regular font, the email from WordPress will be in navy blue italics.
The stats helper monkeys at WordPress.com mulled over how this blog did in 2010, and here’s a high level summary of its overall blog health:
The Blog-Health-o-Meter™ reads Wow.
Thanks, stats helper monkey. Looks like WordPress wants to convince me to keep blogging. I really have no idea if anyone else gets anything besides Wow.
A Boeing 747-400 passenger jet can hold 416 passengers. This blog was viewed about 12,000 times in 2010. That’s about 29 full 747s.
In 2010, there were 21 new posts, growing the total archive of this blog to 142 posts.
The busiest day of the year was December 7th with 98 views. The most popular post that day was Christmas Car Commercials, I hate you.
I find it a little sad that I only posted 21 new posts last year. I promise to do better this year!
Where did they come from?
Thanks, MPP, FMF, SP, and Wisebread for your linking awesomeness!
Some visitors came searching, mostly for life after college, what to do with 401k after layoff, unemployed after college, collecting unemployment, and paying at costco.
Always sad that common search terms are about unemployment, but that’s a sign of the times. Hope I was able to help the people looking for advice on most of those topics! Interestingly enough, people using the “paying at costco” search term probably wont get anything useful coming to my blog. The post people probably found was this one, which covered two topics: a shopping trip at Costco and considering using credit cards to pay for bills, in order to build up reward points faster or earn a bonus from a credit card company.
Attractions in 2010
These are the posts and pages that got the most views in 2010.
Christmas Car Commercials, I hate you December 2010
How often should I contribute to my Roth IRA? January 2008
Layoff Survival Guide: What to do with your 401(k) June 2009
Notes from Suze Orman January 2010
About Me October 2007
1. The Christmas Car Commercial post probably got more hits because I shared the link in my gchat status, so more people probably followed through to that. Plus I did see a few searches come in looking for that, so maybe it was a good topic. If you are the type that enjoys commentary on commercials, check out my friend’s blog, Drink Moxie. A fun, witty, and insightful read every time!
2. I think a common question when it comes to investing is how to start. Do you put all your money in at once? Or take advantage of dollar cost averaging and buy funds in smaller increments? The general consensus among the commenters was that any retirement contribution is better than no contribution at all. I still continue to contribute each month, since that’s one of the options Fidelity allows so that you don’t have to start with a huge contribution (minimum of $200/month required). But I contribute to the max allowable ($5,000/year)
3. You have to deal with a lot of decisions and changes when you get laid off. One of those is figuring out what to do with your 401(k). So, that’s been a pretty popular post.
4. Lots of good advice from Suze Orman.
5. Guessing a lot of people want to know who I am when they first find my blog. I may have to go back and update it, since I haven’t looked at it in quite some time.
Well, that’s it, folks. Thanks again to people who have linked to me. If I’ve left someone off of my blogroll (or put someone in the wrong list, or am using the wrong link), please let me know, and I’ll fix that ASAP.