I’ve been tagged. Twice. By Eric at Postgrad Agenda and by Make Love, Not Debt. So it’s about time I answer these questions! The rules are that you answer the questions, then make up new questions and tag people to answer those questions. I’m going to answer all 11 of each of their questions (22 total) then come up with 11 new questions.
1. If you worked in your current job until retirement, would you be happy?
I’m assuming the question is if I’d be happy to stay at the same company until retirement. I’d be happy as long as I continue to be challenged and learn new things. My happiness in my career is contingent on gaining additional responsibilities and expertise. I love working with my colleagues and learning a lot from them, and hope I can continue to grow.
2. What are three things you do that you wish you could change?
I wish I could change my procrastinating habits: case in point, this post is LONG overdue!
I also wish I could stop putting myself down. I think I tend to look at myself and find all the flaws (physically, intellectually) instead of embracing all the good in myself!
I wish I could change my addictive behavior when it comes to computers/video games. I will stay on my computer way too late or play a video game for hours. It’s bad news. Go to bed!
3. What do you enjoy doing more than anything?
I love spending time with my family and friends. Especially if there’s delicious food around
4. Do you think everyone is born with the potential to change the world, or just a few?
I think everyone has the potential, but not everyone gets the opportunity.
5. How would you like to change the world?
I’d like to change the world by increasing access to education and knowledge. I don’t know how to achieve it, but I think education is a good way to start.
6. What have you done so far to make that change?
Not much. Though I try to teach people about personal finance😛
7. Fiction or non-fiction?
I’m always hooked on personal finance books! And books about interesting science discoveries. So sign me up for Non-Fiction. Though I would read a good fiction book, if anyone has some suggestions!
8. Have you succumbed to the Apple influence? Why or why not?
I had the same iPod (or a repair/replacement) since college, until it finally kicked the bucket late last year. And since then I’ve been using my new iPod Nano. And I have iTunes. And I’m always tempted to take my parents up on their offer to get me an iPhone. But I never do take them up on that offer. I think the stuff Apple makes is really cool, but I fear having it would make me less productive (too many distractions). Not sure if that means I’ve succumbed or not!
9. What would you consider yourself an expert in?
Well, I’m not an expert in personal finance, but among friends, I’m definitely a resource. And I think I’m pretty good at the Materials Science stuff that I’m working on. And I’d probably consider myself an expert at making puns. Or at least an expert at making people groan at the puns I try to tell
10. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
I’d like to think getting into MIT and then graduating in four years from MIT are two things I’m pretty proud of.
11. Ideally, what’s next in life for you?
I have no idea. I’d love some big happy changes, but I’m content with small happy life
1. Have you ever been ripped off and for how much?
Last year I was parked in a lot with signage that I assumed meant I could park there. Apparently the tow trucks in Allston had a different interpretation of the sign, and they stole my car away and held it for ransom (that’s at least how I see it). So having to pay this sketchy place, IN CASH, for my own car seemed like a bit of a rip off. Especially since I thought I was in the right.
2. Do you have pets? Are they awesome?
I don’t have any pets. I hope to get a dog when I have a house and yard more suited for one. I’m ridiculously allergic to cats, so that’s not going to happen. So, my future dog is awesome. That’s already a given.
3. What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European? Apparently someone actually tried to calculate it.
4. Why are most children’s musicians terrible?
5. What’s the most offensive thing about the $5 bill?
That it’s not a $50 bill?
6. Prior to Jeremy Lin’s current basketball greatness, he was staying on his brother’s couch because he didn’t have a definitive contract with the New York Knicks. Was the couch long enough to fit an out-stretched Jeremy Lin?
I have no idea. My guess is regardless of if he fit, he probably wasn’t very comfortable. I’ve fallen asleep on the couch with plenty of room to stretch out, and I’ve woken up as quite a mess.
7. What’s the least you’ve purchased with $100?
I’m not sure. I know that the next thing I’m planning on purchasing with ~$100 is a FitBit Ultra😛
8. What’s a reasonable amount of money to spend at a strip club?
Zero dollars. Ew.
9. How much do you tip the bartender? Really? That’s it?
I rarely go to bars. I’ll usually give them a dollar or so per drink. I’ve even given a tip when I asked for ice water because I felt like I’d be a jerk not to.
10. How much would you pay for the perfect hamburger?
Maybe $15 max? But I’d be okay with a $7 hamburger.
11. Is an iPad worth it?
I only ever really want an iPad when I’m on travel and everyone else has their Kindles, Nooks, and iPads. It’s gadget envy.
And now, here are the questions I want answers for:
1. What would you do if you won $10,000? How would your answer change if it was $1 million?
2. Is your current job anything like what you thought it would be when you were younger?
3. What store/brand are you unable to resist?
4. What’s the last book you read?
5. Who do you most admire among your friends and family?
6. What’s your go-to recipe for dinner? Dessert?
7. What’s your least favorite food?
8. Which Disney character do you think you are most like?
9. What board game do you love to play? Do you dominate at it? Or do you always lose?
10. What’s the longest distance you’ve ever walked/jogged/run?
11. What clichéd phrase drives you the craziest?
Who to tag? I’ve already seen Elizabeth, Serendipity, Big City…Beer Budget, Fabulously Fru-girl, eemusings (the Abstract Aucklander, Annabelle (twice!), Nicole, Bridget, and Andrea participate in these. I’m not going to make any of them make a new answer list (unless they want to!).
So, I’ll tag some new people who (to the best of my knowledge) haven’t been tagged yet. Hello Below Her Means, Deena Dollars, Stacking Pennies, Paranoid Asteroid, My Pretty Pennies, Money Maus, Penny Pinching Pro, Fig, ShtinkyKat, Julia, Mariel, and Katie. You’ve been tagged!
Anyone else who wants to answer these questions, either in a comment below or on their own blogs is welcome to. I can’t wait to learn more about you!